My first attempt - COVEMAN!

I was in the last semester of my MBA in early 2007. I was bored of studying and wanted to start something. I was attracted to the internet and felt it would be a perfect time to start up in the online space.

I saw all my batch mates making CVs for the upcoming placement season. On interacting with some of them, I realised a lot of them did not know what to include and what not to include. Also they din't know how to display the information. This is when I thought that there should be an online tool which can help users make their CVs online.

I came up with the name COVEMAN (standing for COlumban VEnkiite MANdevian based on the educational institutes I had attended). A user could create CVs, store them and email them or print them out using Coveman.com. I got a web developer in Gurgaon to make the website. It was a very basic website and when I look back, the design was realllly bad :)


Though the interface might not be great, but looking back I feel that idea was great. There was hardly any competition then and the idea was addressing a common and genuine problem and was highly scalable.

However, I quit this as I had no idea how to run a startup and how big it would become. Also I got into Oxford University and that was way too big to let pass. And so Coveman died a natural death.

Lesson Learnt:
Starting up is about sacrificing. If you don't believe in your company, no one else will. If you feel what you are doing has great potential, just go for it. Don't get swayed by things happening around you. Only those who persevere will succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about this post?